Google Analytics

Site Meter

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Finally The Condensed Version That Makes Sense...

You have to read this series running on Slate. It is called 'Blogging The Bible' and it is one of the best written blogs I have read in a long time. Now, that could be because it is authored by the self proclaimed genius author David Plotz, but let's not get hung up on details.

So this many part series is an amazing journey into rediscovering the bible and reading the passages that you never would have known existed. David, with his amazing ability to tell a tail with true wit and wisdom, gets into the stories about death and pillage. He reads about the despair, and he even relates some of Moses' people to the Mob. It is amazing writing and a great read when you want to step away from technology and/or political blogs.

Here is an excerpt from his initial blog…

For all you people like me, that have always been intrigued by what drives religion and want to better understand the history, David has given us the Woody Allen Cliff Notes version of the oldest and most popular book of all times.

I decided I would, for the first time as an adult, read the Bible. And I would blog about it as I went along. For the millions of Jews and Christians who know the Bible intimately, this may seem obscene:


Why should an ignoramus write about the stories and lessons that you know by heart and understand well? I don't intend any kind of insult. My goal is not to find contradictions, mock impossible events, or scoff at hypocrisy. Nor am I quite stupid enough to pretend that Judaism (or Christianity) is just the Bible.

So, what can I possibly do? My goal is pretty simple. I want to find out what happens when an ignorant person actually reads the book on which his religion is based.

Read the first story, "From Creation to the Flood." You will be hooked.

Disqus for Cold Kiwi