Google Analytics

Site Meter

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Travel Movie Update for 01/05/2011

Since I travel so much I get time on planes and in hotels to watch movies. I am going to try and at least make those times useful by sharing my experiences with the films I see with others.

Here is a list of recent films I saw while traveling and some thoughts on each.

- The Town - (5-stars) - MUST SEE!!! - I saw this awhile ago, but it is such a great film I am listing it so people go see it. It was directed by Ben Affleck and includes a great role by Jon Hamm as the FBI agent. I really think this film should at least be nominated for best picture.

The Town (2010)
- The Fighter - (5-stars) - MUST SEE!!! - Go see this film as soon as you can, it is amazing! Another best picture candidate from my perspective. Christian Bale is really great in this film and deserves an Academy Award for best supporting actor. Also Melissa Leo (also in Conviction) does a great job as the crazy mom, and should get best supporting actress. And of course, I love Amy Adams in any film!

The Fighter (2010)
- Exit Through the Gift Shop - (4.5-stars) - Best documentary I have seen all year!!!   Wow, what a great film, you have no clue where this movie is going to take you until you get there.   Well worth tracking down and watching.  I won't tell you too much, but it is a movie about street artists, at least that is how it starts out.

- Get Low - (4.5-stars) - Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, and Bill Murray are all really great in this sleeper. This film is so good, I am shocked it has not received much buzz in the media. If Duvall and Murray don't get awards for this film, something is broken in Hollywood. Murray plays such a great character as the funeral director.

Get Low (2010)
- Black Swan - (4-stars) - Directed by the guy that did The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream, this is a thriller.   Though the word on the street is that it is a ballet movie, it isn't really what I would classify as a ballet film.   It is a dark thriller, that just happens to have the setting as the New York City Ballet company.  The films gets into the stresses put on performers and includes some crazy lesbian scenes and overtones of mental illness.

- Conviction - (3.5-stars) - Another sleeper, with Hilary Swank and Sam Rockwell. This is a true story of a working mother puts herself through law school in an effort to represent her brother, who has been wrongfully convicted of murder and has exhausted his chances to appeal his conviction through public defenders.

- 127-Hours - (3-stars) - Another great film from Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, 28 Days Later, The Beach) and one of my favorite actors of all time (James Franco - he was in my fav movie - Pineapple Express) is the lead and does a great job in this role.

127-Hours (2010)
- Yogi Bear - (2-stars) - Good movie to see with the kids, but not something I would see otherwise. Though Dan Aykroyd did a great voice of Yogi and Justin Timberlake actually sounded like Boo Boo, it was not really much more than a dumb kids movie.

Yogi Bear (2010)
- Paranormal Activity II - (1-star) - I loved the first one, this second one sucked!  It was not even scary, it was just stupid.   I am not sure how they were able to take such a great first film and make the second one so bad.  It is the same thing that happened to Blair Witch Project.  

I will post later some thoughts on other films I have seen recently.

Disqus for Cold Kiwi