Google Analytics

Site Meter

Sunday, October 30, 2005

So Close To Home...

Living in Alexandria, Virginia is great. I love the city because of the history, diverse culture, and focus on constant improvement by all the citizens and people running the city. I have enjoyed becoming more involved in the community and hope I can help with the continued improvement efforts of this great place, that once was the home of George Washington.

I must tell you, I was really saddened when I read the news of the 2,000th soldier who was killed in Iraq last week. So many deaths and so much pain. The news hit closer to home when I heard this solider (number 2,000 - who really should be called by his name... George) was born and raised in Alexandria, a mile from our house.

Army Staff Sgt. George Alexander Jr., 34, died Saturday (10/22/2005) from wounds sustained Oct. 17 when a bomb planted by insurgents detonated near his Bradley Fighting Vehicle in the town of Samarra.

An excerpt from the Alexandria Times...

Alexander left behind a wife, an 8-year-old son, and a 6-year-old daughter.The Pentagon said Alexander listed Killeen, Texas, as his hometown, but a military spokesperson at the Fort Hood military base told The Alexandria Times on Wednesday that he was listed in military records as having been “born and raised in Alexandria, Va.” Staff Sgt. Nancy Morrison could offer no further details about Alexander’s upbringing here.

The fact that Joel (Jennifer's brother) is still over there on the frontline and the fact that this most recent soldier killed was from down the street, makes this situation sadder than you could imagine. I really hope the families of these soldiers will be able to understand and cope with this pain. I can't imagine how I would be able to deal with it.

Disqus for Cold Kiwi