Google Analytics

Site Meter

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Emerging Technology Or Cable Access?

Podcasting! I love the concept. I bought the Motorola ROKR phone from Cingular and download my podcasts onto my phone every night.

I subscribe to many different podcasts including: NFL Week in Review, Business 2.0, Wharton MBA, Tech Talk, The Steve Dahl show, and many others. I listen to these on my phone wherever I go, mostly in the car. I can shop at the grocery store while listening to an update on the NFL season. I can have my oil changed while hearing the latest on new technology. I shop at Bradlee shopping center while getting my MBA.

The technology is not clean yet and the content is still lacking somewhat (check out iTunes or podcast.net for an example of the content). Of all the podcasts that are out there, there are only a few that really are worth listening to. Many people are still confused about Podcasting and think of it as cable access programming via audio, and I must admit most of it is. I even had a podcast or two with my two boys, just to learn the technology.

I truly don’t think everyone understands the potential value of this type of technology. It is audio syndication and it provides a subscription model to compelling and targeted audio feeds. The market is still very new and emerging. The broadcasters of the world are still trying to figure it out. It is a technology that requires advancements in consumer electronics, but it will be the future.

There are good signs of this taking off, with CBS radio providing feeds of their programming via podcasts, the integration of video into the iPod, and the adoption trends over the past 12 months. I do hope the

I am sure the technology will be much different in 2 years, or even 12 months, but it will be an interesting ride.

Disqus for Cold Kiwi